The Grand Lodge of Japan was created when the Grand Lodge of the Philippines in 1957 allowed their Lodges to become original Lodges in support of the request of the New Grand Lodge of Japan. One of the first acts of the new Grand Lodge was to create the first constituent Lodge chartered under the new Grand Lodge: Kokusai Lodge # 15.
A decision was made to organize the new lodge at Yokota Air base and on 24 November 1958, Kokusai Lodge was there instituted. The Lodge was formally chartered on 18 April 1959, with the Grand lodge officers performing this solemn rite in due and public form. More than 300 Masons and friends attended the ceremony.
Kokusai Lodge held it meetings in the Airman Leadership school, building 104, at Yokota in 1959: then in the auditorium of Yokota American School in 1960. Records show that the lodge held its first meeting in Kokusai Lodge building on 29 March 1962. In 1964 the lodge held its meetings in the Masonic Hall building 4008. In late 1971, the lodge authorized the purchase of the two buildings which later were designated the Joseph Stine Masonic Temple, at the cost of $6,000 each along with leasing the land for a twenty years period. The first meeting of the Lodge in the new lodge hall was held on 1 June 1972.